In Basel we find truly masterful works of contemporary architectural art, created by internationally recognized architects like Mario Botta, Richard Meier and Herzog & de Meuron.
We will see the basel architecture and experience the preparation of new urban neighborhoods and how they combine the traditional and modern in together in harmony.
In addition, the Vitra Campus in nearby Weil Am Rhein unites the work of more renowned architects: from Frank Gehry to Zaha Hadid to Tadao Ando, among others.
Next we find Le Corbusier’s chapel in Ronchamp, a short distance away from Basel. This is a must-see for all architecture lovers.
– Flight from UK to Basel (Consult airport).
– Preparation of itinerary and tours guided by our architect, according to program.
– Lodging in 3* hotel in double rooms. 3 nights.
– Transport to/from airport.
– Private bus available for trip to Ronchamp, 8 hours.
– Basic travel insurance.
– Notre Dame du Haut Chapel by Le Corbusier.
– Vitra Campus in Weil am Rhein, Germany.
– Vitra Design Museum Gallery by Frank Gehry.
– VitraHaus, Herzog & de Meuron.
– Museum der Kulturen by Herzog & de Meuron.
DAY 1 – BASEL (Flight)
DAY 2 – BASEL AND WEIL AM RHEIM (GERMANY)
DAY 3 – RONCHAMP TRIP
DAY 4 – BASEL AND RETURN
Arrival of flight from UK to Basel.
Transfer and check in hotel.
Afternoon to tour Basel with our guide- architect:
– Train shed and railway control tower. Herzog & de Meuron.
– Apartaments, Herzog & de Meuron in Schützenmattstrasse.
– St. Jacobs Park Stadium, Herzog & de Meuron.
– Südpark. Herzog & de Meuron.
Return to hotel, dinner and free evening in the city.
Night in Basel
Breakfast at the hotel and transport to Vitra Center, Birsfelden.
Tour with our architect:
Transport to Vitra Campus in Weil am Rhein, Germany.
Visita VitraHaus, building by Herzog & de Meuron.
After a quick lunch, guided tour of the installations at Vitra Campus:
– Conference pavilion (1st building by Tadao Ando outside Japan).
– Vitra Design Museum (1st building by Frank Gehry in Europe). “Rudolf Steiner” exhibit.
– Vitra Design Museum Gallery (Frank Gehry).
– Firemen’s pavilion (1st building by Zaha Hadid). Current exhibit “Prouvé RAW”.
– Vitra Production Plant (1st industrial building by Alvaro Siza).
– Dome (1950, Richard Buckminster Fuller).
– Vitra Plant (Nicholas Grimshaw).
– Gas station (Jean Prouvé).
– Sculpture Balancing Tools (Claes Oldenburg & Coosje van Bruggen).
– Study pavilion (SANAA).
– VitraHaus, Herzog & de Meuron.
Return to hotel, dinner and free evening. Night in Basel.
Breakfast at hotel in Basel.
Bus available for all-day trip to Ronchamp accompanied by guide – architect.
Bus leaves for Ronchamp. Duration of journey: 1.5 – 2 hours.
In Ronchamp, guided tour of the Notre Dame du Haut Chapel by Le Corbusier. After lunch, leave for Mulhausen.
Exterior tour of the social housing by Jean Nouvel, Poitevin &Raynaud, Lewis+Block, Lacaton & Vassal, Shigeru Ban & De Gastines.
Head back to Basilea, with one stop between Kembs and Niffer to visit the small reservoir/lock in the canal Rhone- Rhine by Le Corbusier.
Night in Basel.
Breakfast at the hotel, then meet the guide-architect in the hall for information about the day’s visit:
– Beyeler Museum Foundation. Renzo Piano.
– Pfaffenholz Gymnasium Herzog & De Meuron.
– “Rehab Center” by Herzog & De Meuron.
– Schaulager by Herzog & De Meuron.
– The Hospital Pharmacie (Institut für Spitalpharmazie) offices, houses and laboratories. Herzog & De Meuron.
– Museum der Kulturen. Herzog & de Meuron.
Check out of hotel in Basel, airport transport and return flight.